Friday, June 25, 2004

It's a good thing you can't OD on sunflower seeds...

With what's been going on here, I got tasked to work night checkpoint last night. Wow, what a tedious boring shift. I stood up in one of the guard towers and watched traffic. Woo hoo. I ate so many sunflower seeds it wasn't even funny. But, it was pointed out to me that being bored is much better than the alternative. I was so glad to get back and fall asleep. Especially since I hadn't really slept in like 3 days. Anyway. So, Baghdad. There's just this...tension right now and we're still FIVE days away from the transfer of power. And there's not guarantee that things will calm down after that. Some here think it's going to be just like the year 2000 thing. Lots of freaking out before hand and absolutely nothing happens on the actual day. I sure hope that'll be the case. But, I can't shake the feeling that the really bad attacks are still to come. And for the most part, it isn't even Iraqis causing all these problems. It's these foreign fighters who are scared to death of a healthy powerful Iraq. They will do whatever it takes to keep Iraq down and fighting with itself. Even Al Sadr, once he talked with the Iraqi President, agreed to stand down his militia and become a political power instead of a military one. But, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. (I have to admit, it is pretty cool to be here at the "birth of Iraq" and witnessing all this first hand.) I'll keep ya'll updated. B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this article interesting and enlightening. It helps shed light on the many stories you've shared and the importance of your job there. I never really understood what the green zone was or why it was called that. I will continue to pray for you.
Love Aunt Kathie